Window Locks - Kids Don't Fly - Lock News
Your shopping cart is empty!

Window Locks - Kids Don't Fly

Window Locks - Kids Don't Fly


Locking windows is no longer just about keeping your family safe from a burglary, recent changes made by the Australian Building Code Board (ABCB) are now making homes safer for children. Important new requirements in the Nation Construction Code pertaining to all openable windows in new residential buildings, which are more than two metres off the ground, now require a barrier in the form of either window locks or a suitable screen fitted to restrict opening of more than 125mm.

However, it just doesn’t apply to new buildings; thanks to a campaign entitled “Kids Don’t Fly” run by the Westmead Children’s Hospital, a bill has passed in the NSW Government which will make it mandatory for existing residential strata schemes to come in line with the new codes also. Although they have until 2018 to comply, Mr Anthony Roberts MP urges concerned parents to work with owners corporations to start the process as soon as possible.

In order to comply, the ABCB anticipate that 80% of these barriers will be sourced in the form of window locks and screens to make up the remaining 20%. This is due to the lower cost and ease of installation of window locks.

Products such as the Carbine window lock range are ideal to secure a variety of window applications (sliding, sash, casement and awning) as these are lockable when the window is open (for ventilation, keeping in mind the 125mm requirement) and closed.

The Carbine range offers the choice of 2 different key styles; the older ‘LF43R’ profile which can be keyed the same as other branded window locks or the common ‘C4’ profile which is used on most household door locks, allowing for 1 key to work all your locks. Carbine developed a patented wafer system for their window locks which use the ‘C4’ key; this allows for easy DIY installation of the product as no modification to the application is required for a standard 5 pin length key to work.

Available in various colours to suit modern and contemporary windows, Carbine window locks provide added security through concealed fixings and/or one-way security screws. Each lock is supplied with required fixings and installation instructions, available through Lock Supplies




How to: Changing a screen door cylinder


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Saturday, 15 August 2020
Quotes & Enquiries

Lock Supplies Logo 2016 for web

Contact us today!


or fill out the online form below:

1000 characters left